Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

Retire and Refire

Retire and Refire

It might be considered as early retirement for someone to call it a day at the age of 50. For some reasons, it just came at the right time to me.

The moment I left the platform of my teaching career, it was a mixture feelings of relief and reluctance. Relief was to have a new phase to recharge and reset the second half of the journey in my life. Reluctance was to bid farewell to a meaningful and challenging profession.

The very first thing, as normal to most retirees, is to go on trips to rejuvenate the heart and soul while exploring the mysterious and wonderful world out there.

After a  while, it's time to draw up a  schedule to utilize the time in such a way that I would not be  left behind but keep abreast of the latest developments.

A year after the retirement, by chance,  I came across and impressed by the artwork displayed at a book fair in Kuala Lumpur. That's how my drawing & painting journey began.

I spent half a year obsessing over creating cards and simple drawing. Then the lockdowns due to the outbreak of COVID-19  ignited the desire in me to explore  painting with acrylic and watercolours.

Apparently, I am not so good at painting. As a new hand, sometimes I learn some basic strokes from the internet, yet most of the time I prefer to use my own imagination as my intention is to make it as my passion and pastime, after all.

As the number of drawings and paintings grew, I was inspired to go beyond. Instead of keeping the paintings for self- actualisation, it's more exciting to invite those who having the same interest to share the happiness and joy. To sell the paintings for charity also comes to mind, even though some of them are not yet up to par for sale.

Well, whatever is, after indulging in the world of colours, this passion has been stimulating my patience and perseverance  to make something impossible possible!

Looking back at the year 1972,  a little girl aged five was crying for she couldn't complete her drawing homework; this retiree never thought it could be a silent soulmate of hers at the age of 52 in 2019 until today! 

Retire from one platform and refire on another one. Learning is a continuous process, never stop learning, to keep young and dynamic!

Age is just a number.



Ee Fui Mei

April




Post a Comment

0 Comments