Advertisement

Responsive Advertisement

Teaching in Miri, Sarawak

 

Teaching in Miri, Sarawak


My maiden voyage, 'flying in the sky' was crossing over the South China Sea when I was designated to teach in Miri, Sarawak by the Ministry Education of Malaysia (KPM) in June,1991.


SMK Dato Permaisuri staff year 1992


Taken in year 1992 (Malaysia Airlines)

I was the very first one who received the offer letter from the KPM for my batch (B. Sc. with edu, University Technology of Malaysia). 

Truly thrilled and excited the moment I got to know I was located in the largest state of Malaysia. 

Sarawak, as far as I understood from my geography teacher was a place with long houses, timber, petroleum, pepper and hornbills. 

Compared to my fellow coursemates, I was considered lucky enough to be posted to a quite developed and picturesque oil town, Miri.  The school where I met with helpful staff and lovely students, SMK Dato Permaisuri, blessed me with wealth of teaching experience.

I still remember vividly, Madam Ng Sie Fong, not only a patient mentor, but a good tour guide who pleasantly spared her precious weekends driving me and other fresh teachers to explore the nearby tourism spots. 

Gunung Mulu National Park, Niah National Park, The grand Old Lady, Lambir Hills National Park were those places we explored and left me with a recollection of unforgettable sweet memories.

Everything was so agreeable, except the pay. Throughout the three-year-teaching duration in Miri, I hardly afford to pay for the exorbitantly high flight ticket fares. If my memory serves me right, a round trip for economy class would take away my almost one and a half month meagre salary.

The salary of a degree holder fresh graduated teacher was about RM 1100,  not as appealling as offered at the present. Furthermore, as I allocated almost 80% of the salary for my parents,  I only managed to fly back home to West Malaysia once a year. Taking a flight was absolutely a luxury those years.

Somehow the parents of my students were so kind-hearted and treated me like next of kin. My token of appreciation and thanks to Mrs. Lau and Mrs. Lim who were always there giving helping hands and moral support throughout my hard time during my pregnancy. 

Never feel regret teaching in East Malaysia. If not due to unforeseen incidents, I would have lived there for good, a place called Bumi Kenyalang, Land of the Hornbills.


Wherever we go, there is always sunshine and rainbows awaiting for us.....


Ee Fui Mei

April



Post a Comment

0 Comments